For all our services, the data controller — the company that’s responsible for your privacy— is Direct Ferries Limited.
You should read this notice in conjunction with our cookies policy and the terms & conditions of use for Direct Ferries Websites and any separate terms & conditions issued with your booking of ferry tickets or other products and services.
Our legal basis for using your personal information
We will only process your personal information where we have a legal basis to do so. The legal basis will depend on the reason or reasons Direct Ferries has collected and needs to use your information. Under EU and UK data protection laws in almost all cases the legal basis will be:
- Because we need to use your information so that we can process your booking, fulfil your travel arrangements and otherwise perform the contract we have with you.
- Because it is in Direct Ferries’ legitimate interests as a company to use your personal information to operate and improve our business as a travel provider.
- Because we need to use your personal information to comply with a legal obligation.
- To protect the vital interests of you or another person.
- Because you have consented to Direct Ferries using your information for a particular purpose.
If processing of your data is subject to any other laws then the basis of processing your data may be different to that set out above and may in those circumstances be based on your consent in all cases.
What types of personal information do we collect from you?
We endeavour to collect and use your personal information only with your knowledge and consent. We collect information when you use the Direct Ferries website, one of our products or services, or communicate with us. This information and the details of anyone travelling with is necessary for the adequate performance of our contract with you and to allow us to comply with our legal obligations. Without it we may not be able to provide you with all requested services.
We collect the following categories of personal information:
- Information you provide to us to complete and manage your booking or another service you have requested from us. For example your name, address, email, contact details, date of birth, gender, passport number, your vehicle details and payment information. The exact information required will depend on the requirements of the ferry operator.
- Information about your travel arrangements. For example your travel itinerary and other information related to your booking.
- Information about the services we have provided to you in the past. Details of any past bookings you have made with us, including any customer feedback you may have provided.
- Information about online registration and other interactions. This can include account registration, information collected if you have entered a competition, registered for a promotion or interacted with us through a social media channel such as Facebook or Twitter.
- Information about your use of our websites, contact centres and mobile applications. To help us to personalise your experience and improve our website we collect information about your searches and the content you have viewed on our website using cookies and similar technologies.
What do we use your personal information for?
- To fulfil and manage your bookings and deliver any other services you have asked for.
- To send you status updates, if requested, and service communications.
- To provide services tailored to your requirements and to treat you in a more personal way.
- To carry out analysis and market research.
- To improve our websites, products and services.
- For management and administrative purposes.
- To carry out marketing and keep you informed of Direct Ferries’ products and services.
When will we send you marketing?
We may send you marketing messages via email, to keep you up to date with what the latest and best offers, ferry timetable releases and to help you find ferry ticket prices.
You can stop receiving marketing messages from us at any time by:
- clicking the unsubscribe link found in any email marketing message
- replying to an email marketing message with a request to be unsubscribed
- By contacting our Customer Service Team
Once you do this we will update your account details so you don’t receive any more marketing messages.
While we will update your details as quickly as possible, please allow for up to 2 business days for this to take effect.
Unsubscribing from marketing messages will not stop service communications, such as booking confirmations and updates.
When will we share your information with others?
When you make a booking we may need to share your personal information with the providers (e.g. Ferry Operators, insurance providers, product distributors) of the services and products you’re purchasing. This information may also be shared with other third parties, including port authorities, customs, and passport offices, where this is necessary to fulfil the ferry service contract.
We will not sell or pass your personal information to third parties (other than as set out in the paragraph above) unless you have given us permission or unless it is necessary to deliver and improve upon the products and services ordered or used by you. For example, we may disclose your data to a credit card company to validate your credit card details and obtain payment when you buy a product or service. It may also be necessary to pass your data to the organisation from whom you have ordered any products or services.
Direct Ferries may also be obliged to disclose your personal information to meet any legal or regulatory requirements or obligations in accordance with applicable law.
Depending upon the type of browser you are using, you may be able to configure your browser so that: (i) you are prompted to accept or reject cookies on an individual basis or (ii) you may be able to prevent your browser from accepting any cookies at all. You should refer to the supplier or manufacturer of your web browser for specific details about cookie security.
Your rights regarding your personal information
Right to Access & Transfer Data
You have the right to request a copy of any personal information that we hold about you or to have it transferred to third party. We may ask you to supply appropriate evidence to verify your identity before responding to your request. Once your identity has been verified we will respond as quickly as possible and in any event within 30 business days.
If you have an online account, you can log in to your account at any time to view any personal information stored there.
Right to Update & Amend
If any of the personal information we hold on you is inaccurate you have the right to have that information corrected or completed where it is incomplete.
Right to Complain
If you feel at any point that we have mishandled your data or infringed upon your rights set out under data protection laws you can let us know by getting in touch with our customer service team or lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority responsible for data protection in the country you live in or the place of the alleged infringement. You can find a list of the Data Protection Authorities within the EU here(https://ec.europa.eu/justice/article-29/structure/data-protection-authorities/index_en.htm).
Right to be Forgotten
You can request to have your personal information erased when it is no longer required to process a transaction or we are not legally required to retain the information. Where your personal information is no longer required, any request to have the information erased will be carried out without undue delay.
Right to Withdraw Consent
You can withdraw or restrict your consent to marketing or the processing of your personal information completely or partially, where it is no longer required.
How to Access, Amend or Transfer your Information
You can write to us at any time to obtain, amend or request a transfer of any personal information we may hold about you. Please write to: Direct Ferries Ltd, 2-3 Three Rivers Business Centre, Felixstowe Road, Ipswich, Suffolk IP10 0BF, United Kingdom
Please quote your name and address together with your booking reference and or account number. We would be grateful if could also provide brief details of what information you want a copy of (this helps us to more readily locate your data).
We will take all reasonable steps to confirm your identity before providing you with details of any personal information we may hold about you.
Your Personal Information and Countries outside the EU
All our customer data is stored on servers held within the EU. To perform our contract with you we may need to send some of your personal details to our partner ferry operators outside of the EU. Where this is necessary we take steps to restrict the data transferred to only the data that is required to perform the contract.
We protect your privacy and your rights through the use of the European Commission’s standard data protection clauses. More information about these is available here.
Retaining and anonymising personal data
We keep your personal information for either 3 years from the date of your last booking or interaction or, if longer, for any period for which we are required to keep personal information to comply with our legal and regulatory requirements. After this time has passed we anonymise all data so that it is no longer personally identifiable.
Direct Ferries recognises that its customers are increasingly concerned about how companies protect personal information from misuse and abuse and about privacy in general. Direct Ferries is constantly reviewing and enhancing its technical, physical and managerial procedures and rules to protect your personal data from unauthorised access, accidental loss and/or destruction. We use industry standard secure sockets layer (SSL) technology, for example, to encrypt sensitive information such as your credit card and other financial information.
Changes to this Policy
If there are any significant changes, we make these clear either through the website or through another means of contact such as email.